Saturday, June 04, 2005

slack blogger is leaving you

In 3 weeks and 3 days I will be heading off to Zambia with Bright Hope International (www.brighthope.org). I will be travelling with a team for the first few weeks and then probably returning to one or two of the ministries we visited for a slightly longer stay. Possilby Isubilo Community Centre (http://www.isubilo.org/). Isubilo means Hope in the local Bemba language - how cool is that!

My reason for going is to get a better idea what it would be like if I were to be involved there for a longer period - like, in a few years. Working with children orphaned by aids has been something that has stirred me up for years and this trip will hopefully give me a more specific idea about how I’d like to be involved in the future. Cause i really have no idea what it would be like.

I will be leaving Zambia in late August and making my way to the university of Wyoming (http://www.uwyo.edu/) where I hope to be completing the first semester of my honours year in an exchange through the university of Canterbury. I complete my BA in English and American studies in a couple of weeks and will hopefully finish honours June 2006. (I then intend to do a teaching diploma and teach for a couple of years. If I decide to return to Zambia for a longer term then this is most likely when I look to go. At this point it's all speculation though - a little too far away to know.)

It's all exciting and terrifying but I've been busy with assessments and hardly get a chance to let it sink in. Last time i went overseas was a family holiday to oz and before that was when we moved to Hong Kong when i was 12. This is a whole nother kettle of fish. and that is a very weird saying.

I should go get on with my study now that i've made my vain attempt at keeping this up to date.

Brr, cold day. Hot drink. then study.
Adios

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home